Table of Contents
- 1 Download Link for Android
- 2 Main features of the Pleco App
- 3 How to Install and use Pleco Chinese Dictionary
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions
- 5 Best Alternatives for Pleco Chinese Dictionary
- 6 Conclusion
Pleco Chinese Dictionary is an app that enables users to learn the Chinese language without the aid of an instructor. With Pleco Chinese Dictionary, you get a well-integrated Chinese-English dictionary, which delivers an adept learning experience for the first time, Chinese language learners. Pleco was officially launched in October 2001, with the latest version being the 3.2.73 last updated on the 6th of February 2020.
Operating System: Android, iOS
Application Category: Utility
- Two in one Dictionary offering over 130,000 Chinese words
- User friendly handwriting and voice recognition feature
- Comprehensive Search and Cross-referencing tool
- Audio pronunciation for easy text-to-speech learning
- Optical Character Recognizer and Screen reader
- Flashcard systems allows monitoring of learning progress
- Stroke order Diagrams for sketching Chinese characters
- Document Reader
- Helps users learn Chinese from the basics
- Employs variety of smart tools to ease the learning process
- Voice recognition enhances users ability to improve Chinese speech
- No ads interference during usage
- Can be used without the internet.
- Paid access is required for higher features
- Limited to Chinese enthusiasts
- Some words aren’t available in the dictionary
- Audio for pronunciation is not always available
Download Link for Android
Main features of the Pleco App
Pleco utilizes two dictionaries the CC-CEDICT and a Pleco owned PLC dictionary; both dictionaries cover a range of 130,000 Chinese words and 20,000 example sentences with Pinyin.
Also available are 8 additional dictionaries which you have the option of downloading these includes a 22,000-entry Cantonese-English dictionary, and 19 other great dictionaries which you pay to access.
Handwriting and Voice recognition tools
With these features users can checkout unknown characters by drawing them; this works through an in-class recognition engine while the voice recognition allows you search characters by speaking into your device’s microphone.
Flashcard systems and Document Reader
The flashcard system enables users simplify and monitor their learning process, cards can be created from any dictionary entry with a single button tap or premade word lists.
The Document Reader lets you open a Chinese-language Word or PDF file and search out unknown words in the dictionary simply by tapping on the words.
This feature delivers native-speaker audio for Chinese dictionary headwords, it has a cache of recordings for over 34,000 words and allows you listen to example sentences with text-to-speech system TTS on both free and enhanced.
You can search words in Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces/tones optional), and also conduct full-text searches.
A user can simply click on any Chinese character / word in any dictionary entry to access its definition
Stroke order Diagrams
This a very fun feature; with the power of animations Pleco teaches you how to draw Chinese characters, you can learn 500 lessons in the free mode and 28,000 in paid mode.
How to Install and use Pleco Chinese Dictionary
There are currently no PC versions you therefore would need to download an android emulator this would enable you download the Pleco android app and use on your PC without hitch.
How to install
Follow these steps
- Download and install an android emulator either Bluestacks or Xeplayer is a cool option
- Login to your Google account to access your Play Store
- Search for the Pleco Chinese Dictionary choose it when it pops out and install on your PC as you would on your smartphone
- If a problem occurs with the loading speed on Bluestacks or Xeplayer search online for Microsoft.net framework software and install it, this will do the trick
- Once installation completes, click the blue icon for the Pleco Chinese Dictionary to begin your hassle free Chinese language learning
How to use Pleco
Here is a preview on how to start out with Pleco Chinese Dictionary
When you first open Pleco you will be presented with a white background screen which looks this way
Pleco designed a user friendly manual to help users navigate their way through the app, to download Pleco’s manual go to http://www.pleco.com/ipmanual/
If you are excited about the Chinese Language, or you live in China, then Pleco Chinese Dictionary is the app for you. Its multi tool enhancement makes it the go to app for learning Chinese, its reviews are so consistently satisfactory and its longevity in the app industry is very reassuring. You couldn’t be in better hands.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Pleco app free?
Yes! It’s absolutely free to download but you would need to subscribe to the premium version to use all its features
Note; Most features are available in the free mode without subscription
2. Since there is no PC version how can it function well on my PC?
By downloading and installing an emulator on your PC you can download and use Pleco. This works because the emulator uses your PC as a smartphone
3. Does Pleco function on particular operating systems?
Absolutely, it functions on the windows and iOS systems as long as you have your android emulator setup
4. What happens with coins earned, if you uninstall and reinstall the app?
The coins just vanish after deleting the app and can only be gained after starting the game again and as you braise to higher levels.
Best Alternatives for Pleco Chinese Dictionary
If you don’t find Pleco well suited to your taste you can try these other alternatives
Wenlin is designed to help pupils and teachers of the Chinese language, it’s focused more on literal/written Chinese and helps take students from the basic to advanced stages of the Chinese language.
Its features include a large, high-speed Chinese dictionary, text editor and a flashcard system.
To download and install on your PC
- Download and install an emulator
- Click on this link https://download.cnet.com/Wenlin/3000-2279_4-77360490.html
- Click on the green button and download the Wenlin app
Youdao is a Chinese search engine owned by Chinese internet company NetEase in 2007 it’s basically a Chinese and English translation.
- To access Youdao simply enter https://www.youdao.com/ in the search query box
- When it pops up click on the translate button so the Chinese characters will be displayed in English
3. MDBG English to Chinese dictionary
This is a free online English to Chinese dictionary it also has an app version. MDBG offers diverse learning tools such as flashcards, quizzes and text annotation. It’s a favorite among schools and universities as an apt tool for Chinese language learning.
MDBG offers users a free trial version which doesn’t expire but offers limited features
To download and install:
- Install Bluestacks emulator
- Click on this link to get the Mac iOS version https://www.mdbg.net/chinese/dictionary?page=chinese_dictionary_mac_osx
- To get the Windows version click on this link https://mdbg.loqu8.com/download.php
Pleco Chinese Dictionary should be your go to dictionary for studying the Chinese language. With Pleco you can grow and sharpen your knowledge on the Chinese language faster than you thought possible.